Wednesday 22 March 2017

My Interview with Author Rebekah Raymond


1. When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

I have always just been a writer, for as long as I can remember. But I truly realized I wanted to become an author when I won a contest with a small publisher. It was like it opened possibilities and choices for me that I hadn't realized existed before then.


2. Where do you get your ideas for your book?

Most of my writing so far has been through dissociative writing, which means my characters take over and merely tell me the story as it happened. The odd time I write my own stories, I use personal experience and wishful thinking to get into the tales.


3. What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

I am a compulsive reader and creative. I love singing, drawing, and creating things for myself, my family and my friends. I create custom SWAG for other author's, and spend time with my husband, kids and dogs camping.


4. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I have published two books, but have another three in the series already written. I am not sure if I can say which is my favourite – each has a special twist that I can appreciate, but I think the last book (still untitled) has the most tender place in my heart due to the main character.


5. Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

First, find your muse and embrace it. Second, decide what kind of writer you are. Are you one who wants to expel the proverbial word vomit of a story and just put it out there? Are you one who wants to make it a finished jewel before presenting it to the world. Do you want to just keep it for yourself? Discovering the answer(s) can save a lot of work after the fact.

6. What do you think makes a great story?

I hate to be cliché, but for me a story has to have that certain "je ne sais quoi". It must be simple yet complex in it's analysis, questionable but discoverable. For me a great story is one that you can go back to, again and again, and always find something new that evokes an emotion and sometimes sparks a discussion.


7. Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

For classics it would have to be Edgar Allan Poe. More contemporary would be Jacqueline Carey, Diana Gabaldon. Indie would be impossible to name only a few, but T.E. Ridener and Adam Dreece are frontrunners. There are so many others, probably one in each genre, but these are the ones that have distinct qualities in their work I hope to emulate one day.


8. What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

I am working on some Canadian Anthology contest short stories, editing my third novel (Life's Inception), and simultaneously writing my non-fiction short story collection, and my fifth book in the Life's Series.


9. What genre are your books?

My published series is Thriller, each with their own subgenre (horror, romance...).


10. What drew you to the genre you write?

That's always a fun one to answer. I actually never chose my genre, it chose me (enter cheesy cliché's again). Seriously though, I write by dissociative writing, so very often my characters take over and I become just the finger to
keyboard, recording their reveries. Sometimes I even black out in a sense. I help to mold the content after the fact in editing, but in the end it is the character's preference and memories that shape the genre.


11. Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book? (any book you like)


12. Do you write full-time or part-time?

I write part-time, usually late at night after my family has gone to sleep. A solid half hour to three hours seems to keep the character-monkeys at bay, although there are always exceptions. Occasionally I find myself indulging in half (or whole) day writing sessions.


13. What is the hardest thing about writing?

Getting through yourself. What I mean is, sometimes you need to just sit back and let it happen. Sometimes you need to force yourself to NOT edit or correct your spelling. Sometimes you have to be pantser when you usually plan, or instead of flying free, make an organized outline. Write in a crowded setting, pick up pen and paper instead of a tablet. Forcing yourself out of your usual routine when writing can sometimes be the best thing for you. But first, you have to get out of your own way.


14. Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

Take a different approach. Write a text message or email or letter to your character. Or, interview them. See how they respond. Throw them into an unconventional situation, try to write backstory where there currently isn't one. Investigate the nitty gritty. And, when in doubt, try any of the techniques in the answer above.


15. Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I read a lot. I tend to fall back on my favourites quite a bit, with science fiction and strange fiction and fantasy being paramount. Jacqueline Carey, Maggie Shayne, Diana Gabaldon, there are my regulars. However, I branch out to everything and anything that comes across my kindle.


16. Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

The old adage is true...don't put stock in what you see as my browser history – I'm a writer, not an axe murderer.


17. How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorRebekahRaymond Site: http://rebekahraymond.com/
Twitter: @RRaymondAuthor
Buy links: https://www.amazon.com/Rebekah-Raymond/e/B017G7U00Y https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/life-s-defeat
https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/life-s-hope

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment