Sunday 12 March 2017

My Interview with Author Pauline Allan


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

I knew I wanted to be a writer when I was nine years old. I made a newspaper for my family full of all kinds of fun events and “news worthy” information. I knew I wanted to write all the time when I wrote a short horror story when I was around twelve years old. I wrote the story for my dad and he praised me for the work so my confidence blossomed. Knew I wanted to write novels when I was a freshman in college. A professor published a submission I wrote for class describing Spring time. I then waited a couple of years and wrote my first full length novel. I wrote it by hand in notebooks. 120,000 word count by hand! I shelved it and kept writing as an obsessive hobby. And then…I knew I wanted to write professionally when I read a book by Stephen King titled On Writing. I then wrote a book, See Me, and sent it into a publisher and walla! They contracted the book and the rest was history!

Where do you get your ideas for your book?

I really have many sources. Music is a huge influence. Not the words to a song, but the tempo and rhythm. My mind goes into a trance and the story comes. I have had a very eclectic life. I’ve experienced many things others have not had the opportunity to see and feel. I’ve done autopsies, went to college for ten years, I’m a nurse, my dad a physician and a veteran, my mother was a showgirl at the Tropicana in Las Vegas and hung with the mafia at times. Many stories there. I’ve had many people die in my life and witnessed many miracles. And lastly, I have a diagnosis of Bipolar Type 1. I see colors and the heartbeat of life through the messed up waves in my brain. I also spend a lot of time in New Orleans. The heart of mysticism lives in those buildings and culture. In short, every step of life brings me ideas. 

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

I like to spend time with my family. I’m an avid reader and have an obsession with organizing things. So, I’m always piddling in my office. I spend time with my dog #furrysecretary. I also like camping, cooking, and listening to music. I am a volunteer at the Spencer CommUNITY Pride Center. I go to author/reader events and spend time with friends. I also love movies and certain TV shows. I’m totally freaking obsessed with Taboo, Penny Dreadful, Game of Thrones, and Shameless!

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I’ve currently written seven full length novels, two erotic short stories, and one novella.
Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?
WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! Write words every day. Learn your “voice” and put it down on paper. Know before you start a project what your end goal will be. Are you writing for pleasure? Are you writing for publishing? Those two can intertwine, but certain criteria have to be in place to write for publishing. And, learn your craft. Read On Writing by Stephen King. Always strive to be a better writer and push your creative boundaries. Oh, and dig deep into your darkest feelings. It enrichens the deep point of view! If you are spending over year writing one book then kill your darlings. You don’t have one GREAT work. You have a collaboration of many. Savor every accomplishment. Writing The End on the page is worth gold. If those two words aren’t on the page then nothing else in the story matters. 

What do you think makes a great story?

You, the writer. A reader knows when you haven’t put blood to page. They deserve for you to cut a vein and bleed your soul into each word. This is a craft. This is a mark in history that has tapped your brain and you are responsible to live up to the challenge of ripping your heart out and living each sentence. So, yeah, break your soul and the story will be great.

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

Oh hell. Edgar Allan Poe. Hands down. His work is so misunderstood by the general public on a whole. He was a romance writer. A romance of not only the marrying of two hearts, but of the human soul with its dark nature. That is a very romantic place to live, between the two. His essence is in everything I write. Contemporary writers are Megan Hart (best first person point of view writer). Her Precious and Fragile Things almost killed me. Kate Pearce, Pauline Reage (Story of O), Anne Rice/A.N. Roquelaure (The Sleeping Beauty Series), and Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland/Allice Through the Looking-Glass). 

What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

The second short erotic story in The Belmont Hotel Series. This one is titled Reservation. A hot little number about a nerdy/awkward accountant who has come to The Belmont for a bachelor party and gets seduced by the hot/hunky security guard at the hotel. Also, book two in The Tattered Social Club Series. This one is Damaged and it’s the story of Ben and Luke. Ben is a tattoo artist at the shop and Luke is a firefighter. Their pasts are intertwined and Luke is now in the city and the two have to overcome a horrid history to find love. And, an arsonist has invaded the neighborhoods on the south side. A very exciting and sexually explosive book!

What genre are your books?

I primarily write MM Erotic Romance, however I do have a menage and two hetero books out as well. I write contemporary, but also have a MM fairytale paranormal project coming out this summer (super secret!!). I also have a BDSM title out as well.

What drew you to the genre you write?

The BDSM and really Dom/sub concept is from multiple experiences. The MM viewpoint is really because I’ve always written heavily from the male POV. That’s just me and my writing voice. Also, what’s hotter than two guys kissing? Yeah, not much. 


Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)

For my upcoming release, Damaged (pre-order in March and release in April!) would be: Ben-Austin Standage, Luke-Colton Hayes, Knox-Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Seth-Tom Hardy, Mitch-Henry Cavill/Jon Hamm, Niko-Alex Minsky, Ethan-Cameron Monaghan

Do you write full-time or part-time?

I am a nurse and work 3 nights a week/12 hour shifts and I also write full-time.

What is the hardest thing about writing?

Not getting distracted. I have many irons in many fires and being pulled in many directions. Also, doing all the promotional work takes a bite out of writing time.

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

WRITE! Mix up your projects. If you get stuck on a story it can shut down your writing brain. Start brainstorming a new project and making notes then write on other projects. One of the stories will bite you and you’ll take off again.

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I love to read. I try many new writers. I mostly read MM stories now, but I also like to read non-fiction books on mental illness, history, and true crime. I also read books on improving writing craft and screenplay writing.

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

Always aspire to write the next book and never give up on the story. Write for the passion of writing or to get published, know the difference between the two. Either way, keep writing and sharing your work.

How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pauline-Allan/e/B007NAIHFA/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_4?qid=1454266505&sr=1-4
Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/search?Query=pauline+allan
BN: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/pauline+allan?_requestid=700296
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/author/pauline-allan/
Website: https://paulineallan.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/author.paulineallan/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/paulineallan_author/?hl=en
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/paulineallan/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PaulineAllan



Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment