Saturday 18 March 2017

My Interview with Author Lindsay Downs


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

If I’m not mistaken it was around 2006. I was working as a security guard and needed something to read. After reading several books where vampires where the main characters, and by different authors I noticed a central theme. Romance. Not only that but the books all seemed to be the same. It was as if each of the authors followed a formula. I figured if that was the case then I’d give it a try. I haven’t looked back except over the years I have created my own formula. Romance mixed with one or more of the following-murder, traitors and kidnappings. That sounds like romantic suspense, which it is. However, I take subgenre a step further. I write regency romantic suspense.

Where do you get your ideas for your book?

I tend to write series so the concept for the first book tends to be the most difficult. Sometimes it is a ‘what if’ question. Other times an idea will come to me. 

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

You mean there is something other than writing. Okay, yes I will have the TV on usually listening to a show.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

Currently I have 15 regencies released and 5 already written to be released in 2017.
Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?
Put your butt in the chair and write. When you think you have written enough start over again. And again. Learn the rules, and if necessary be prepared to break them as I have and continue to do. Take workshops on writing either online or through an organization such as Romance Writers Of American. Learn the craft.

What do you think makes a great story?

Well crafted characters. An intriguing story line. Something that keeps the reader wanting to not only turn the page but ask when the next book is coming out.

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

Jane Austen is my heroine.

What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

I am editing several books before sending them to publishers.

What genre are your books?

Regency romantic suspense.

What drew you to the genre you write?

Regency romantic suspense called to me back in 2011 when I wrote my first one. I’ve dabbled in contemporary suspense but it doesn’t feel right

Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)

Keira Knightley for the heroine.
Hugh Grant for the hero.

Do you write full-time or part-time?

Full-time

What is the hardest thing about writing?

For me there are several. Finding period appropriate names for the primary characters and many of the secondary ones as well. Then there are the words in not only dialogue but narrative as well. The wrong word can ruin not only the scene but if it continues the story as well. I am constantly asking myself, were they used during or before the regency period? For that I have several sources I rely on.

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

I either turn to the dreaded edits or work on another book.

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I read whenever I have a chance. I would prefer not to mention authors for fear of forgetting one or two. Genre-regency and contemporary

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

Not that I am aware of.

How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

About me-
I’ve been an avid reader ever since I was old enough to hold a red leather bound first edition copy of Sir Walter Scott’s The Lady of the Lake in my lap.
So it only seemed natural at some point in my life I take up pen and paper to start writing. Over time my skills slightly improved which I attribute to my English teachers. 
My breakthrough came about in the mid 1970’s when I read a historical romance written by Sergeanne Golon, Angelique. This French husband and wife team opened my eyes to the real world of fiction. Stories about romance, beautiful damsels, handsome heroes and plots which kept me hooked. Of course, being a man, I had to keep my reading hidden from others as that wasn’t appropriate reading for men.
With this new found appreciation of the written word I took up other books and devoured them as a starving person would a plate of food. I them attempted to write again. I still wasn’t satisfied so I put it aside for years as other events entered my life.
Finally, in the early years of the new millennium I tried again to write and once again met with limited success. At least now I was able to get past the first page or two. Then, in 2006 a life changing event brought me back to my love, I took a job as a security officer. This allowed me plenty of time to read different genres. 
My favorite was regency. As I poured through everyone I could get my hands on I knew this could be something I wanted to attempt.
Since 2012 when my debut regency romantic suspense released I was hooked and have, except for a few contemporaries, focused on this genre.
Since 2012 I’ve lived in central Texas. I’m also a member of Romance Writers of America and the Austin, TX chapter.

Where you can find me-

Facebook- http://tinyurl.com/pgq8vzz
Facebook Pages- http://tinyurl.com/nresq5j
Twitter- @ldowns2966
LinkedIn- http://tinyurl.com/e8t56
Goodreads-http://tinyurl.com/prcdmml
Lindsay Downs-Romance Author- http://tinyurl.com/kvfz468
Amazon- http://tinyurl.com/ktem76c

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 

No comments:

Post a Comment