Saturday 11 March 2017

My Interview with Author Libby Doyle



Q & A with Libby Doyle, author of The Covalent Series

1.     When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

Since I was a little girl, although I lost sight of it for a long time. I started writing a novel when I was eight. I wrote it longhand on construction paper and pasted it on the pages of an old paperback. I never finished. After that inauspicious beginning something always got in the way: pragmatism (I became a journalist rather than a novelist), lack of discipline, lack of confidence. I needed to do it in my own time.

2.     Where do you get your ideas for your book?

I’ve been influence by the medieval literature I’ve read. I was an English major in college with a concentration in medieval epic poetry. All great heroes and courtly love. Others influences include the countless hours I’ve spent reading science fiction, and the sheer fun and humor of Joss Whedon’s work (of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame). The Covalent Series is what happened when all of that got tossed into my brain blender, with a little bit of Bible thrown in. I’m not a person of faith, but I went to Catholic school for 12 years.

3.     What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

I love reading, of course. I enjoy live music, hiking and travel. My husband and I like long walks through the city, just seeing what there is to see. We also eat out way more than is good for our waistlines.

4.     How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I’ve written two books in a five-part series. I’m working on the third. My latest, The Pain Season: Book II of the Covalent Series is my favorite. I wrote a climactic battle scene from three alternating points of view that I’m pretty jazzed about. I’m sure when the third comes out that will turn into my favorite. I get a thrill from each one.

5.     Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

Keep writing. Write for yourself. I’ve seen a quote attributed to the brilliant Toni Morrison: “If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, you must be the one to write it.” If at all possible, have a number of books finished before you publish because you can gain momentum with back-to-back-to-back releases. Also, don’t let difficulties on the business side dull your passion. All authors would rather be writing than marketing, but it’s a necessary evil. Don’t let it overwhelm you. Remember that no one really knows what makes a book take off. Sure it needs to be good, but there are a lot of good books out here. The laws of supply and demand are against us. Do what you can do, then let it go. (Mind you, I often fail to follow my own advice.)

6.     What do you think makes a great story?

Great characters, high stakes, rich emotion, and an original, well-thought-out plot. And humor! As Joss Whedon has said, “Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke.”

7.     Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

Toni Morrsion, Margaret Atwood, Roger Zelazny. Too many to list. I recently read All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. The man can write a description: “In such moments Madame seems like a great moving wall of rosebushes, thorny and fragrant and crackling with bees.” He’s a master.
8.     What are you working on at the moment?

The Vengeance Season: Book III of the Covalent Series, my hot urban fantasy.
9.     What genre are your books?

They are a bit hard to categorize, having elements of urban fantasy, science fiction, romance, erotic fiction, mystery and adventure. A marketing nightmare. Ha! I generally label them urban fantasy. They take place partly in an alien world and partly in Philadelphia, where I live.

10. What drew you to the genre you write?

Creating and writing about new worlds is a ton of fun. Besides, these books are simply what poured out of my imagination. Must be all that science fiction I’ve ingested.

11. Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?

Ever since I saw Fury Road, I’ve wanted Charlize Theron to play my badass heroine, Special Agent Zan O’Gara. My character has a healthy streak of Imperator Furiosa. Preferably Charlize would die her hair black and put on about ten pounds of muscle. Then she’d be ready.
My male lead is easy. Barakiel is big, blond charismatic and beautiful. Chris Hemsworth, hands down, although even he isn’t tall enough. Barakiel is 6 feet eight inches tall!

12. Do you write full-time or part-time?

Part-time. I have a day job.

13. What is the hardest thing about writing?

Besides setting aside time to write, I find writing utilitarian scenes difficult. These are scenes that are necessary to move the story along, but they are not the big dramatic pieces with high emotion. Nor are they fun-to-write action. They’re like the connective tissue of a story. I tend to procrastinate with them, but once I dive in they’re often more enjoyable than I thought.
Outside the act of writing, I find marketing quite taxing. I hate it with the power of a thousand suns.

14. Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

Discipline. Just start to write. The act of writing will clear the block. If you produce bad writing at first, you can always fix it later. I was a journalist for many years. Writer’s block was not an option. Deadlines, you know. I would power through.

15. Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I read a lot, although less than I would like because my day job is exhausting. My favorite writers in my own genre (or in closely related genres) are Diana Gabaldon, Sherrilyn Kenyon and Lindsay Buroker.

16. Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

If readers are looking for something unlike anything they’ve read before, they should read my books.

17. How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

For all things Libby Doyle, visit my website: http://libbydoyle.com.
BUY LINKS
The Passion Season: Book I of the Covalent Series
2016 New Apple Solo Medalist Winner in the Fantasy Category
Barnes & Noble: https://www.goo.gl/nQRRo9
The Pain Season: Book II of the Covalent Series
Barnes & Noble: https://www.goo.gl/sSNpSb
SOCIAL MEDIA
Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview

No comments:

Post a Comment