Sunday 19 March 2017

My Interview with Author Kris Nacole


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

I’m not your average “I’ve always known I wanted to be a writer” story. Honestly, until a few years ago, I hated writing. All through high school and grad school I dreaded anything that had to do with writing. My love for writing came full-force in 2014 after reading one of my favorite Nicholas Sparks novels. I remember sitting in silence while staring at the words “The End” and wishing the book hadn’t ended. I wanted to write a book that made others feel the way I did after reading that book—to be an outlet for so many people around the world who want to get lost in a world other than their own and escape reality for a little while. So, that’s what I did. 

Where do you get your ideas for your books?

“Love Him Back” is a military romance, and having been in the military myself, I knew I wanted my first book to be a military romance. My writing style is to take raw, real, everyday situations people deal with and morph them all into a story that almost every person who reads my books can relate to on some level. 

My second book, “Hart of Country,” is a western romance. I really enjoy reading western romances, so thought I’d try writing one. I’m also a country girl, so bringing a little bit of “country” into my writing was a lot of fun. 

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

When not writing, I’m usually spending time with my family or working two other jobs. I don’t have a lot of “free” time, and I have two young boys who keep me very busy. 

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I have written two novels: “Love Him Back” and “Hart of Country”. “Love Him Back” was originally self-published in 2015, but I signed with Limitless Publishing in May of 2016, and they re-published it in October under their name with a new cover and alternate ending. 
It’s impossible for me to pick a “favorite” because they’re both special to me on different levels; however, I guess “Love Him Back” will always somewhat be my favorite only because it was my first book published. It’s the first time I followed my dreams and accomplished that goal for myself. It’s a constant reminder that even if I never published another book, at least I did it once. 
Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?
The hardest thing for me has been dealing with the negativity that comes with publishing a book. I wasn’t prepared for the bad reviews or losing support of friends and family who are supposed to be my biggest supporters. 
There were times (still are!) when I wanted to go rock in a corner somewhere and cry because someone disliked my books. It may sound silly, but it’s hard seeing people pick apart your work. However, it comes with the territory, and you have to learn to have a thick skin. Not everyone is going to like your work, and that’s okay. If you go to Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iBooks, or anywhere else and look up your favorite authors, no matter how “big” they are, they will ALL have bad reviews. Even those who have had their books turned into TV series or movies, have some one and two star reviews. You can’t let strangers not liking your work stop you from doing what you love. As long as you believe in yourself and love what you do, keep doing it. 
Also, I’d tell them to write what you want to write, not what everyone else thinks you should. It’s your story, not theirs. It’s impossible to please everyone, so just worry about pleasing yourself and move on. Don’t let anyone make you feel like you can’t succeed at following your dreams. For those who say you can’t do it, just look at them and say, “Watch me”. 
What do you think makes a great story?
A great story to me is one that can make me laugh, cry, and swoon all in one. It’s one that grabs me from the very beginning and gives me a book hangover the next day because I couldn’t put it down. 

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

There are many, but Nicholas Sparks is by far my favorite romance author. I’ve re-read his books many times, and it still feels like the first time every single time. I’m hoping to meet him one day and tell him how much I admire his work in person. 
What are you working on at the moment?
I’m working on a novel that will be out at the end of this year. It’s a contemporary romance, but it hasn’t been announced yet. Shhhh…

What genre are your books?

All of my books are standalone romances with a HEA ending. 
 What drew you to the genre you write?
I’m a hopeless romantic, and I’ve always enjoyed reading romance novels and watching romantic movies. 

 Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?

Love Him Back: Channing Tatum or Luke MacFarlane (Zane) and Danielle Panabaker or Rachel Bilson (Chesney)
Hart of Country: Jesse Metcalfe or Scott Eastwood (Korbin) and Jessy Schram (Kailyn)
 Do you write full-time or part-time?
Part-time for now. It’s my dream to ultimately be able to write full-time. 
 What is the hardest thing about writing?
Finding the time to do it. I’m usually up writing after my kids go to bed and am up until after two a.m. writing. Then, I’m back up early for work the next day. If only I could write full-time, things would be so much easier, and I’d probably put out two books per year, instead of one. 


 Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

If you find out, please let me know. Ha! The only thing that really works for me is to walk away and take a break, or turn on some music (depending on the mood of the scene I’m writing) and see if it sparks something in me. 

Do you read much, and if so, who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I used to read all the time, but now that I’m publishing my own novels and working two other jobs, it’s almost impossible for me to read like I want to. My favorite romance authors are Nicholas Sparks and Debbie Macomber. Although my first choice is romance, I also enjoy reading sci-fi/fantasy, supernatural, and horror books, as well. 

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?

Website: www.krisnacole.com
www.facebook.com/authorkrisnacole
www.twitter.com/krisnacole15
Instagram: AuthorKrisNacole
Snap Chat: KrisNacole 
Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/Kris-Nacole/e/B014QEMVW0

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 😊

1 comment: