Thursday 16 March 2017

My Interview with Author Joshua Robertson


1. When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

I began writing stories around the age of nine, completing my first short story. I suspect writing was originally an escape. I mean, I was already dreaming of bestsellers at nine-years-old. Over time, writing has become more of an expression of my own exploration of self.

2. Where do you get your ideas for your book?

My first published book was inspired by a dream I had in 2013 where a dagger brought demons back to the living world. This book was Melkorka, the first novel in The Kaelandur Series. Most of my story ideas come from dreams.

3. What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

I enjoy reading, time with family, tabletop gaming, and the occasional television show.
4. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I think I have fourteen published stories and five of those are full-length novels. My favorite story always seems to be the last book I have written. I think this is due to the words written within the story being most relevant to my current experiences in life.

5. Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

Do not try to write like other authors. You should follow the rules of writing, but you also must find your own voice.

6. What do you think makes a great story?

In fantasy literature, one must have supernatural elements in the theme, setting, or plot of the story. Some writers like to include magic, and others may have a simple make-believe world to play inside. Regardless, I think fantasy should take a reader on an adventure they cannot experience anywhere else, and they should be left to contemplate over the story after the last page is turned.

7. What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

I am currently finishing up the edits on Blood and Bile, a story co-written with my brother, JC Boyd. This is a dark fantasy novel introducting his fantasy world, Jorthe.

8. What genre are your books?

Fantasy

9. What drew you to the genre you write?

I have read fantasy stories since I was very young, and I learned a lot of life lessons through those stories [as well as playing an unhealthy amount of Dungeons and Dragons]. I found a knack for teaching life lessons through fantasy.

10. Do you write full-time or part-time?

Full-time.

11. What is the hardest thing about writing?

The most difficult part of writing is not being finicky over every little word. I have the tendency to edit while I write, which helps me in the longrun, but can be cumbersome if not watched.

12. Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

I do not suffer from writer’s block like many writing friends that I know. If I struggle, I generally can sit back and daydream or go on a brisk walk before getting back to writing. An hour or two away is generally all I need.

13. Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I read as often as I can in-between books. I believe I have read 5 books so far this year. I like to read across genres, even though I typically like fantasy, science-fiction, and theology. My favorite authors are J.R.R. Tolkien and R.A. Salvatore.

14. Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

I love hearing from readers and what they think about my stories. If you would like to download a free book of mine, you can download The Name of Death on Amazon.

15. How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

I would encourage readers to sign up for my newsletter (and receive another free book), check out my amazon, and explore my website. Thank you so much for the wonderful interview.

www.robertsonwrites.com
Newsletter
Amazon

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment