Thursday 30 March 2017

My Interview with Author Jayelle Morgan


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

Like a lot of writers, I realized I wanted to write a long time ago. In high school to be exact, when I got perfect grades and glowing praise from my English and Creative Writing teachers. And then life interfered, as it often does, and things took a different track. Almost 20 years later is when I remembered I wanted to write!

Where do you get your ideas for your book?

It’s hard to say where they come from…the idea for my first series came from a weird connection between the first X-Men movie, my love of nature, and reading the BDB series by JR Ward. Stir well and let cook for years, and then I finally wrote the first scene.

The idea for my second series is a mish-mash between the Chronicles of Riddick and typical paranormal shifter romance. 
So, long answer short, I guess book ideas come from making vague connections between two or more different things and then mixing in romance! 

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

I enjoy rockhounding, cuddling, and pastries. And sleep. Hah.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I’ve written… *counts on fingers* four books. Only one is published. I have about 10 more that are only a scene or two.

My favorite book is my next book. I’m always more excited about what I am working on next than what I’m working on at the moment. :p

Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

Don’t wait! Writer’s write. Don’t wait to do research, don’t wait to learn everything first (spoiler: you will never learn everything you need to know), don’t wait until you’re in your 30’s. Write, right now.

What do you think makes a great story?

I think emotion makes a great story. You want to feel the highs and the lows, the pain and the joy. A story that stirs emotion in you is a great story.

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

So many. I’m the world’s worst at remembering other author’s names, though. The. Worst. I remember books by what happened in them. I’ve read so many great, entertaining books and I remember like…3 of the names. But they’ve all inspired me.

What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

I am trying to finish up my Air Elemental book (second in series) and have started my Earth Elemental book. I heart my Warriors!

“Oh, do you fly?” she asked, wondering if that was part of his military skill-set.
Now he was the one covering a grin with his drink, but she caught the corner of it before he a took a sip, and there in the sparkle of his eyes.
“Only when I can manage it without other people seeing.”

What genre are your books?

They straddle a line between Paranormal Romance and Contemporary Fantasy Romance (but there really isn’t a category for that last one.) My next project will straddle PNR and Sci-fi Romance…so I guess the common denominator is PNR!

What drew you to the genre you write?

I love the idea of hidden beings, hidden magic, hidden worlds within our own. Things that are just on the edge of possibility. I am naturally drawn to Paranormal Romance because of that.
Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)

Oh, boy! Um, Alyssa Milano to play my independent graphic designer Brooke in BURN. Christina Hendricks to play my delicate-on-the-outside-strong-on-the-inside Emory in RISE. Yeah. But the more fun part is dreaming about who would play the heroes! Yum.

Do you write full-time or part-time?

Part-time. It’s just one of my many part-time jobs that make up more than full-time hours. 

What is the hardest thing about writing?

The hardest thing about writing is making that story that is SO kickass in your head just as kickass on paper. It’s brutal sometimes.

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

Oy. I have tried everything. So, my #1 tip would be…try many different things until something helps to get you unstuck. But don’t wait to get unstuck, work towards it.

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I don’t read much anymore (writing takes up that time now), but I still try to read one book a month. My favorite genre is romance, of any kind, but I also enjoy Urban Fantasy and YA. I USED to read 2 books a week.

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

I’m an introvert, my favorite color is purple, my favorite dessert is pie, and my husband is my hero. 

How can Readers discover more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

You can find my first book/series here (book 2 coming REAL soon!):
https://www.amazon.com/Burn-Elemental-Hearts-Book-1-ebook/dp/B01M0GWEYC/
And I always love to make more friends on Facebook! 
https://www.facebook.com/jayellemorgan/

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 

Thanks for having me!

No comments:

Post a Comment