Thursday 16 March 2017

My Interview with Author Angela Roquet


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

I was 16 and a junior in high school. I already had a fondness for storytelling, but my dream job through most of my childhood was to be an animator for Walt Disney. But I didn’t just want to handle the art, I wanted to tell the stories too. So in addition to sketchbooks, I kept notebooks full of scripts. An English teacher read one of my scripts and told me that I should turn it into a novel instead. The rest is history.

Where do you get your ideas for your book?

I find inspiration everywhere. My brain sponges up even the most random and insignificant details, so there always seems to be a cauldron of mystery soup brewing upstairs. Ideas come easily to me. It’s focusing on one at a time that I struggle with.

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

I read. A lot. I also enjoy going boating with my family. 

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I believe I’m up to 8 novels and 3 novellas now. Graveyard Shift, the first book in my Lana Harvey series, is still my favorite. It was my very first, the doorway into my current life, so it will probably always be my favorite. 

Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

Network and research. It’s so easy to do these days. There are countless blogs out there with such a wealth of information on writing techniques and publishing strategies. Learn all you can, take notes, and put it to good use.

What do you think makes a great story?

A great story is one that sparks interest and holds it long after the last page.

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

This list is never-ending, but here are a few names near the top: Patricia Briggs, MaryJanice Davidson, Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris, Kevin Hearne, Jasper Fforde, Christopher Moore, Jim Butcher, Laurell K. Hamilton, J.K. Rowling, George R.R. Martin, Terry Pratchett, Kelley Armstrong, Dan Brown, and Mary Roach.

What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

I am currently working on Blood Vice, a new urban fantasy series coming out this summer.
Detective Jenna Skye bombs her first week on the St. Louis Vice Squad when she's bitten by a vampire in a supernatural brothel. She wakes up twelve hours later in the morgue and discovers that her partner is dead. Before the sun rises, she realizes she is too. With her partner's killer still on the loose, Jenna vows to continue their investigation until justice is served, but a shifty squatter, an unexpected visit from her estranged sister, and a nosy FBI agent stand in her way. Not to mention her fresh aversion to sunlight and a thirst for something a little stiffer than revenge. 

What genre are your books?

They’re mostly considered Urban Fantasy, but many of them contain elements of paranormal romance too. My Lana series would technically be Bangsian Fantasy, after John Kendrick Bangs—the author of A House-Boat on the Styx, since it’s set in the afterlife.

What drew you to the genre you write?

It was the genre I most enjoyed reading. Urban fantasy is grounded in reality, but it’s open to all sorts of possibilities, from wizards and witches, to vampires and faeries. The genre brings fantastic fictional worlds to life in the most beautiful way, I think. 

Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)

I would LOVE for Christina Ricci to play Lana Harvey. And I think Emma Stone would be amazing as Jenna Skye, from the new Blood Vice series. Of course, I wouldn’t turn away Megan Fox or Jennifer Lawrence for the roles either. ; )

Do you write full-time or part-time?

I write full-time, for almost 2 years now. I was a graphic designer before taking the plunge.

What is the hardest thing about writing?

Staying focused. There are a lot of hats to wear, and I find my word count suffers for it sometimes. 

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

I am not the person to ask this one. lol. I could write for days if I could just lock myself in a hotel room and turn off my phone and all internet notifications. Distractions are a bigger problem for me than writer’s block. But I guess I would suggest reading or watching something until you feel inspired again. Fill the well and all.

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I do read. All the time. These days, I mostly read WIPs for the authors in my critique group—Kory M. Shrum, Monica La Porta, and Kathrine Pendleton. But I also read a lot from my favorites listed above. (under question #7)

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

I think you covered everything nicely. : )

How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

Website: http://www.angelaroquet.com
Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/Zftnj
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/adroquet
Street Team: https://www.facebook.com/groups/angelaroquet/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/angelaroquet
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/angelaroquet
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/angelaroquet
BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/angela-roquet

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 😊

Thank YOU for having me on your blog. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment